University field coordinators/directors from an accredited, state-approved teacher education program may request assistance from the Office of Field Experiences at WWU for the placement of one of their student teachers in the north-west corner of Washington State; however, please note that our resources do not allow for extensive assistance with such courtesy placements. Making a formal request does not guarantee our assistance. To make a request:
2. In the email, provide the following information:
- Type of placement (level, grades, subject)
- Geographic location (we will only consider placements in Whatcom, Skagit, and Snohomish counties).
- Start and end dates for placement
- If placement is fulltime or part time
- Requirements for cooperating teacher; stipend that will be paid to cooperating teacher
- Please note if a supervisor will be needed and if yes, how many visits and what are the evaluation responsibilities
3. University representative making the request will be notified if we are able to assist with the placement. Assisting with the placement does not guarantee a placement.
4. If assistance is granted, no placement request will be initiated until:
- An electronic student teaching application has been received (emailed to Nancy Nelson)
- Student has completed the State of Washington required Pre-Residency Certificate Clearance. All courtesy students are required to have fingerprint clearance in the State of Washington. This will require that the courtesy intern complete the Pre-Residency Certificate Clearance form on the OSPI website and submit confirmation of OSPI clearance to our office. All fees associated with this clearance are the responsibility of the courtesy intern. We will not commence a placement request unless this clearance is completed and received.
5. Courtesy Students:
- Must register for student teaching through their home university
- Do not become WWU students
- Do not pay tuition through WWU
- Must arrange for home university to pay the field supervisor and cooperating teacher directly
- WWU has no fiscal responsibility for any courtesy placement