At this time, there are no summer courses scheduled for the Secondary Education programs. If you have coursework to fulfill for your endorsement, you are encouraged to check summer session offerings. The summer schedule is usually posted in early May; check ClassFinder to find out possible courses.

All students seeking Washington State Residency Certification are required to take and pass a content (major) competency test called the Washington Educator Skills Test- Endorsement (WEST-E), NES, and/or ACTFL.  Candidates must pass a test for every subject area in which they wish to be endorsed.  Please visit Woodring's Content Test Resource Site to view and download details for preparing and registering for the tests.

Yes. Students may request internships outside of the normal “service areas” for Western. Requests must be submitted to the Office of Field Experiences and approved by the Secondary Education department. Requests will usually be approved as long as:

  1. Appropriate supervision can be obtained;
  2. The faculty have no concerns about areas of weakness - if so, students are generally required to do their internships in the local area and are supervised by Secondary Education faculty.

Some overseas student teaching opportunities are available; for information, contact the Office of Field Experiences.

Undergraduate/Post-Baccalaureate: No; this is a daytime face-to-face program.

Master in Teaching (MIT):  The Bellingham MIT is a daytime face-to-face program.

The MIT program in Everett. is designed for the working adult- contact faculty/staff in Everett for details.

Undergraduate students who are full-time Western students, need to apply to Woodring's Secondary Education program in their senior year.

Transfer students, in addition to the above statement, are advised to begin work on their academic major the first quarter at Western, and to contact the SEC department for early advising on when to apply to Woodring.

Post-Baccalaureate students must apply to both Western Admissions Post-Bac and Woodring's SEC Post-Bac program by the application deadline. 

Those applying for the Master in Teaching program (Bellingham or Everett) only apply online through the Graduate School.

Yes, unless you have had the complete process done (both State and FBI), and results have been posted to OSPI (Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction).

Example: If you’ve gone through the entire State and Federal process for the military or other non-educational agency, the results will not be submitted to OSPI and will not meet the requirements.

NOTE: Fingerprint clearance is good for only two years.

  • Enroll in EDUC 109 (not required, but a good way to meet others interested in education
  • Enroll in C2C courses
  • Attend "Communication with Secondary Education" events to stay connected (typically twice a quarter)
  • Meet with Secondary Education staff for early advising
  • Declare a major once you know what you plan to teach
  • Meet with an Academic Advisor to help you plan your schedule
  • Work with WCE Peer Mentors as desired
  • Maintain 2.75 GPA (all endorsement courses require a grade of C or higher)
  • Continue completing GURs and courses for your major
  • Consider enrolling in Compass 2 Campus (can take multiple times)
  • Find opportunities to work with adolescents from a diversity of backgrounds, with preference in K12 public schools
  • Take the WEST-B, and/or check your SAT or ACT scores
  • Work with WCE Peer Mentors as desired
  • Attend "Communication with Secondary Education" twice/quarter events
  • Meet with Secondary Education staff for early advising
  • Maintain 2.75 GPA (all endorsement courses require a grade of C or higher)

The Undergraduate/Post-Bac. program is 4 quarters: three quarters of full-time SEC coursework, and a one-quarter (14-week) student teaching internship. 

The Master in Teaching program is 5 quarters: three quarters of full-time SEC coursework, a one-quarter (14-week) student teaching internship, followed by a 4-credit research course. 

Temporary teaching permits will normally be received within 1-2 weeks from the time the Certification Office receives clearance from the Office of Field Experiences that the final student teaching evaluation is completed.  The permanent certificate is usually processed within 2-3 months, mailed from OSPI to the Certification Office, then forwarded to you.  Depending on the program, different addresses are used and must be kept current; undergraduate and MIT are mailed to the "diploma" address, and post-bac are mailed to the "permanent" address.

This timeline presumes you submitted the application to the Certification Office on time and provided all necessary documentation.  If the application or documentation are turned in late, delays will result. 

NOTE: Fingerprint clearance must be valid through the time you are recommend for your permanent certificate.

In order to sign a teaching contract, you are required to have the certificate number from either your temporary or permanent certificate.

Yes. The form you completed as part of the admission process is the form required by the State of Washington for character fitness clearance purposes. To receive your certificate you must complete the application and submit it to Woodring's Certification Office.

MIT applicants must have a completed bachelors degree from an accredited university and should have no more than 10 credits remaining in their endorsement coursework. It is highly recommended to complete all endorsement courses prior to starting the MIT program, and/or plan to take available summer session courses. 

Federal regulations allow financial assistance to cover a maximum of 125% of program credit requirements.  The Secondary MIT program is 68 credits, therefore Federal financial aid will cover 125% of 68.

Those who wish to take coursework for an additional endorsement need to be aware that by doing so, their Federal financial aid eligibility may expire before they complete the required coursework.  Alternate loans may be available.

For clarification on financial aid eligibility, please contact the Financial Aid Office.

Some states do have reciprocity with Washington; however, there may be stipulations for a given state. If you have a particular state in mind, you should contact the Woodring Teacher Education Certification Officer, Peter Johnson, for contact information. This web site provides links to all 50 states, as well as contacts for most of them.

Yes. Secondary students are required to complete an 18 credit hour, 14-week student teaching internship. While Western is on the quarter system the majority of public schools use the semester system. Your internship will coincide with the beginning and end of the school’s semester. Your schedule, including holidays and quarter breaks, will be those of the public school, not Western.  The exception is for students who teach abroad.

You must complete all education sequence courses. Occasionally students may do the internship without completing all endorsement coursework; however, both your academic major endorsement advisor and your Secondary Education advisor must approve exceptions. Students cannot be certified without all requirements having been completed.

The Secondary Education program prepares you to teach in middle school or high school.  If you are interested in teaching at the upper elementary grades, you are encouraged to contact the Elementary Education Department.

Those choosing an endorsement in the following specialized areas will be prepared to teach levels P-12:  Health and Fitness, Music, Theatre, World Languages, and Visual Arts

A "major" is the curriculum within an academic department that leads to a degree. An "endorsement" lists the courses that are required to receive certification to teach a particular subject. Often the courses in the major and endorsement align, yet there may be 1-2 additional endorsement courses required for content (major) methods. 

If you are a post-baccalaureate or MIT student, you may need to take additional courses to meet endorsement requirements prior to starting the Secondary Education program. An endorsement evaluation will help determine any outstanding courses.

Future undergraduate applicants are advised to consult the academic major endorsement advisor in their academic department.  A Secondary Education applicant must have one qualifying endorsement to meet certification requirements. 

All students applying for certification programs (undergraduate, post-baccalaureate and master) must demonstrate skill competency in math, reading and writing by 1) passing the Washington Educator Skills Test - Basic (WEST-B) exam, 2) meet the required minimum scores from SAT, and/or 3) meet the required minimum scores from ACT. For details, see the WEST-B website.

Master in Teaching applicants living outside of Washington State at the time of application may substitute the Praxis I or C-BEST from Oregon or California.




Undergraduates obtain an endorsement evaluation from their academic major/endorsement advisor.

Post-baccalaureate and Master students – even though you have a degree, you must still meet department and State requirements for the endorsement and must get written approval. Post-bac applicants should contact Peter.Johnson@wwu.edu. MIT applicants should start an online application through the Graduate School and upload all your unofficial transcripts.

There is no Secondary Education evaluation required prior to student teaching. Woodring's Certification Office checks your education coursework prior to the internship and another when reviewing your certification application.

After being admitted to Secondary Education you will be assigned a program advisor. In addition, each academic department which offers a Secondary endorsable major specifies a faculty advisor to assist students, academic major/endorsement advisor .