Can I do my student teaching internship outside of the Whatcom County area?

Yes. Students may request internships outside of the normal “service areas” for Western. Requests must be submitted to the Office of Field Experiences and approved by the Secondary Education department. Requests will usually be approved as long as:

  1. Appropriate supervision can be obtained;
  2. The faculty have no concerns about areas of weakness - if so, students are generally required to do their internships in the local area and are supervised by Secondary Education faculty.

Some overseas student teaching opportunities are available; for information, contact the Office of Field Experiences.