Federal Work Study Literacy Program
- Position Requirements: Must be eligible for WWU student employment and federal work study. Additional qualifications listed below.
- Level Four, $11.50/hour (minimum wage - increases each Jan. 1)
- Graduate, $18.00/hour
- Period of Employment: Fall Quarter through Spring quarter
- Work Schedule: 10- 15 hours per week or more as desired; flexible around class schedule. Work hours generally occurring during normal elementary classroom hours Monday - Friday, 9am - 4pm.
Description of Duties
- Tutors work off campus at local elementary schools.
- Duties are determined by the needs of the participating teacher, but primarily consist of:
- reading aloud to students
- assisting students in practice reading
- facilitating activities to improve skills such as fluency and comprehension.
- Tutors also serve as role models, providing students with the encouragement and support needed to improve self-confidence and enjoyment of reading.
Educational and other benefits of employment
- Extend your classroom theory to a practical classroom application
- Gain exposure to valuable classroom experience
- Make a positive contribution in developing literacy skills in young readers
- All while making an excellent hourly wage!
- Must be responsible, reliable, and friendly.
- Enjoy working with children in a classroom environment.
- Must be a WWU student making good academic progress at WWU.
- Must be eligible for federal work study financial aid.
- Must be able to travel to an elementary school somewhere within the Bellingham School District.
Send an email (or mail to address below) to the WCE Reading Tutor Coordinator that includes:
- Work Study Confirmation E-mail from the Financial Aid Department
- Your Name
- Western Student ID Number
- Program of Study
- A short paragraph about why you are interested in being a reading tutor
- Fill out a Student Employment Application
- A resume
- and a telephone contact number.
Email: Reading Tutor Coordinator
- Woodring Reading Tutor Coordinator,
516 High St.
Bellingham, WA 98225-9088
Application Deadline: varies upon tutors available.