The Martinez Fellowship Program was established by Holli and Edgar Martinez in 2008. It is managed by the Technology Access Foundation (TAF) and supports Teachers of Color through their undergraduate or graduate level of teacher education, and provides early career coaching, and ongoing professional development. The Martinez Fellowship is dedicated to closing the achievement gap by improving teacher diversity and the retention of teachers of color in Washington State.
Martinez Fellows are exceptional teachers and leaders in Education. They are committed to the highest standards of professionalism. They strive to excel in the profession of teaching and leadership. Fellows are committed to the success of every student in their classroom. They are passionately committed to Social Justice in Education, and eager to engage in an ongoing collaborative learning community with other Fellows. Lastly, Fellows come from various experiences and communities. They come together around their shared passion for teaching, through a multicultural lens, eliminating the achievement/opportunity gap in Washington State’s most under served schools.
Benefits of Becoming a Martinez Fellow
- Graduate- and undergraduate-level scholarships toward Teacher Education degrees
- Opportunities to network and collaborate with other teachers of color in a trusted community
- Early career coaching and support
- Leadership opportunities within and outside of the program
- Three-day Martinez Fellows Summer Conference
- Five Saturday professional-development seminars throughout the school year
- Students enrolled in a teacher preparation program at WWU and accepted as a Martinez Fellow are eligible to substitute Martinez summer and Saturday professional development activities in place of three credits of regular coursework as an additional benefit
Western Washington University Martinez Fellows will receive scholarship support, type and amount to be determined upon admission into the Fellowship program.
For students currently enrolled or admitted into the Teacher Education program at Western Washington University by Winter Quarter 2019
- Due date: Feb 14, 2020
Spring Quarter 2020 admits will be able to apply in Winter Quarter 2021
If you are interested in being a part of this dynamic Fellowship, please see