Teacher Education Outreach Programs
Endorsement Programs for Certified Teachers
Save Time & Money!
* 8 Quarters to Teach *
Western’s nontraditional teacher preparation program is designed for students who hold a transferable Associate of Arts degree (DTA) from a Washington State community college, have satisfied Western's General University Requirements, or have a bachelor’s degree, and are seeking teacher certification.
- Admitted to or have applied to WWU.
- Complete the Program Application.
- Complete WWU GURs, a Direct Transfer AA, or a Bachelor’s Degree.
- Grade point average, overall or last 45 credits, of 2.75 or higher.
- English composition course with a grade of B- or higher.
- Satisfaction of WEST-B, SAT, or ACT requirement.
Students applying to teacher education programs in the State of Washington must have official passing scores on the WEST-B (Washington Educator Skills Test-Basic) and designate WWU as a score recipient. As an alternative to the WEST-B, applicants may meet a minimum score on any or all of the applicable SAT or ACT test. See our WEST-B website for details and test registration information.
- Satisfaction of math pre-requisite.
Students are required to take Math 381, Math 382, and Math 383 to satisfy requirements for teacher certification. Math 381 is offered during the first quarter of enrollment and the pre-req must be met prior to beginning the program. The pre-req can be met in one of the following ways:
- Obtain a grade of C or better in an Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, or Pre-Calculus course at a regionally accredited college or university within the last five years.
- Obtain a grade of C or better in Western’s MATH 112 within the last five years.
- Obtain a passing score on Western’s ALEKS Math Placement Assessment (MPA). Placement test is available upon offer of admission.
Education for Inclusive Environments
The Bachelor of Arts in Education (BAE) with Education for Inclusive Environments major program includes residency teacher certificate and dual endorsements in elementary and special education.
Elementary Education Professional Program
The Post-Baccalaureate Residency Teacher Certificate with elementary education endorsement program is for candidates who hold a bachelor's degree.