Early Childhood Education
Locations & Contacts
The Early Childhood Education Program offers two options to students. Both options are available in Bellingham and Bremerton and are for candidates seeking a profession in early childhood education and specialization in working with young children and their families.
- The P-3 option is designed for students wanting to specialize in early childhood education (birth through third grade) and seek a teaching endorsement to work in the public schools.
- The Non-certification option is designed for individuals who want to work in positions specific to the birth to eight years age range in childcare, HeadStart or with school-age children in after-school programs.
Upon completion of the program, candidates can work in childcare centers, preschools, Head Start programs, and, if they receive the P-3 teacher endorsement, in the primary grades in public schools. The course work offers a combination of theory, methods, and field experiences in a variety of early childhood settings.
Unique Program Features
- Students attend classes with other early childhood education students as a cohort group throughout the program.
- Students gain experience in teaching children in three age groups (infant/toddlers, pre-primary and primary) and in a variety of settings.
- Students are taught to understand and respect intercultural/familial diversity as they learn to develop partnerships with families.
- Students learn to use inquiry tools and process for developing meaningful and integrated learning experiences for young children.