Explore a World of Possibilities
Since 1992, Western Washington University’s TESOL program has prepared future educators to teach English - the language of world communication - in our increasingly globalized world. We strive to provide the interdisciplinary knowledge and hands-on experience you need in order to be successful teaching English to speakers of other languages.
TESOL prepares you to:
- Teach English internationally to adults and youth
- Work in programs for non-English speaking immigrants
- Instruct visiting international students in intensive English programs
- Provide much needed community service during a second career
- Thrive in settings that are culturally and linguistically diverse
- Complete your Bachelor's with a minor in TESOL
*To obtain public school teaching licensure, or add an endorsement to an existing teaching certificate, contact Elementary Education at (360) 650-3336.
Designed with you in mind
A variety of program options provide you maximum flexibility to complete the TESOL Certificate.
- Online – complete your certificate online at your own pace
- Face-to-Face – learn at Western Washington University
- Hybrid – a combination of online and face-to-face courses
- Intensives – earn your certificate sooner with these course options:
- Summer Residency in Bellingham, WA
- Summer Study in Queretaro, Mexico
There is a growing demand around the world for trained TESOL professionals. A certificate demonstrates evidence of in-depth training, opening doors to opportunities internationally and domestically. Employment is often found in public and private sectors, international language schools, community language settings for recent immigrants, and community college ESL classes.
Gainful Employment Disclosure
Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages Certificate
For information about our program completion rates, the median debt of students who completed the program, and other important information, please see WWU's Gainful Employment Disclosure webpage.