Kevin Bengtson, Ph.D.
- Ph.D. Rehabilitation Counselor Education, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- M.S. Vocational Rehabilitation, University of Wisconsin-Stout
- B.A. Human Development, University of Wisconsin-Green Bay
- Certified Rehabilitation Counselor (CRC)
Prior to his doctoral studies, Dr. Bengtson worked as a Rehabilitation Counselor for the Commonwealth Rehabilitation Services (CRS Australia) in Western Australia for 16.5 years. His extensive practical field experience involved providing counseling/therapy to clients with regard to adjusting to disability, comprehensive assessments of a client’s vocational, social, medical, personal, and psychological needs, developed rehabilitation plans aimed at reducing barriers that clients experienced when retuning to work, and maintained a caseload of a variety of clients including Indigenous Australians. He also ran career counseling groups and worked across a number of worker’s compensation markets that included nearly every state and territory in Australia. Prior to this, Dr. Bengtson worked for a private vocational rehabilitation agency in Western Australia for 18 months providing comprehensive vocational rehabilitation services to injured workers and persons with disabilities.
Areas of Focus, Research/Projects, and Interests
Dr. Bengtson's research interests are
- health promotion for persons with disabilities or chronic illnesses,
- rural rehabilitation, and
- international vocational rehabilitation with a focus on Australia,
- Indigenous vocational rehabilitation