We realize teacher preparation is complex due to the many requirements from our department, the college, academic major, WWU, and WA State; therefore, it may be helpful to revisit some of these sites as you progress through the program. As a WWU student, it is your responsibility to know campus policies, deadlines, and the University Catalog. Below are several resources that will provide pertinent information for advisors, new admits to SEC, and current candidates.
Secondary Education (SEC):
- SEC Candidate Handbook
- New SEC admits are required to read and understand the department handbook; during your SEC orientation you will sign an acknowledgment.
- The SEC Handbook is in addition to Woodring Handbook
- SEC Guiding Principles
When first admitted to SEC:
- You will receive an email notifying you of your admittance, then respond with "accept" or "decline".
- Another email will outline the next steps for you to prepare for the program, including:
- Professionalism Requirement-
- Character and Fitness clearance requirements from WA state and FBI
- Mandatory orientation the day before classes during your first quarter in the program; including training for Child Abuse/Neglect Reporting, WA Code of Professional Conduct, confidentiality/FERPA, blood borne pathogen guidelines, sexual harassment prevention, emergency procedures, professional dress, legal issues
- Woodring New Student Handbook
References for first-third quarter admitted candidates:
- WA Standards for Beginning Teachers
- Residency Certificate Knowledge and Skills Standards, Criteria, Descriptions of Practice
- Pre-professional Growth Plan-
- Service-Learning- Learning in Community & Schools (LinCS)
Preparing for your internship:
- Content Test- WEST-E, NES, ACTFL
- OFE's Internship Resources- Apply to Student Teach
- edTPA- where to find edTPA materials
- Registration and Important Dates
- ClassFinder- program courses are planned a year in advance; occasionally the day/time of a course may need to change, but we try to minimize this!
- Time Table
- University Online Catalog- includes U. Academic Policies (current and archived available)
- SEC Waitlist Policy
- Petition Request
- Mentoring Form
- Incomplete, or “K” Grade Contract
- Referral/Remediation Form
- Faculty Review Team Conference Summary Form