Content Test Resource Site
According to WAC 181-78A-232, you may not begin your full-time student teaching before you have attempted at least one qualifying endorsement content test. Woodring teacher candidates must attempt a qualifying endorsement content test* prior to entering their full-time student teaching internship. If official scores are not available to us prior to the start of the full-time internship, candidates must provide evidence of attempting a content test in the form of an unofficial score report to Teacher.Certification@wwu.edu.
*For Elementary Education, this requirement includes both NES subtests.
Washington State Content Tests: WEST-E, NES, ACTFL
Washington State requires teacher candidates and teachers adding endorsements to pass the content test(s) for each endorsement to be earned. The content tests are:
- Washington Educator Skills Test (WEST-E)*
- National Evaluation Series (NES) tests*
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Language (ACTFL) oral and written proficiency tests for candidates seeking a foreign language or bilingual endorsement, see below
* Note: Tests for some endorsements are NES tests and some are West-E. Which you take depends on what endorsement(s) you are earning. If you have questions about testing, please contact Teacher.Certification@wwu.edu or call the Woodring Certification Office at 360-650-3388.
Registration and Preparation
When registering for a content knowledge test you must designate WWU as a score recipient for each test. Please see the Washington Educator Skills Tests (WEST) website for WEST-E and NES test preparation materials and registration information.
West-E/NES Test Vouchers
You must meet certain eligibility income guidelines to qualify for a voucher or fee waiver.
- WEST-E/NES Test Voucher - A very limited number of test fee vouchers are available through Woodring College of Education to cover the cost of a WEST-E or NES test. At a minimum, voucher applicants must 1) be enrolled and in good standing in a WCE teacher education or endorsement program, 2) have applied and qualify for financial aid (with an EFC below the maximum for Pell Grant eligibility). To request a voucher email the CertOffice@wwu.edu; include your name, W#, endorsement, and anticipated testing date. Only one voucher will be awarded per eligible student per academic year.
- No vouchers or waivers are offered for ACTFL tests.
American Council on The Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Proficiency Test Resources
Bilingual Endorsement: Candidates must take the Bilingual Education WEST-E test and pass the ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview and ACTFL Writing Proficiency Test at the Advanced Mid-Level or higher.
French, German, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese or Spanish Endorsements: Candidates must take the World Languages WEST-E test and pass the ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview and ACTFL Writing Proficiency Test at the Advanced Low-level or higher.
Registration: Schedule to take the ACTFL at least 4 weeks prior to the start of your full-time internship quarter. Visit Language Testing International to register for the test. See ACTFL Registration Instructions.
ACTFL Test Preparation and Content Remediation: Access test preparation materials through the Test Vendor's website after you create your account.