According to WAC 181-78A-300, you may not begin your full time student teaching before you have attempted at least one qualifying endorsement content test. Woodring teacher candidates must attempt a qualifying endorsement content test* prior to entering their full-time student teaching internship. If official scores are not available to us prior to the start of the full-time internship, candidates must provide evidence of attempting a content test in the form of an unofficial score report to CertOffice@wwu.edu.
*For Elementary Education, this requirement includes both NES subtests.
Washington State Content Tests: WEST-E, NES, ACTFL
Washington State requires teacher candidates and teachers adding endorsements to pass the content test(s) for each endorsement to be earned. The content tests are:
- Washington Educator Skills Test (WEST-E)*
- National Evaluation Series (NES) tests*
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Language (ACTFL) oral and written proficiency tests for candidates seeking a foreign language or bilingual endorsement, see below
* Note: Some WEST-E tests are being replaced by NES tests. If you tested before the change over, your WEST-E passing test score will be valid for endorsement and certification.
|Content Knowledge Test Listing|
Registration and Preparation
When registering for a content knowledge test you must designate WWU as a score recipient for each test. If you do not, your certification could be delayed and you may need to pay extra fees to the test vendor for score reports. Please see the Washington Educator Skills Tests (WEST) website for WEST-E and NES test preparation materials and registration information. Contact the Certification office if you need additional guidance on test preparation materials or a referral to faculty for content remediation.
You must meet certain eligibility income guidelines to qualify for a voucher or fee waiver. Don't register and pay for a test before you find out if you qualify for a voucher or waiver.
- WEST-E Test Voucher - A very limited number of test fee vouchers are available through Woodring College of Education to cover the cost a WEST-E test. At a minimum voucher applicants must 1) be enrolled and in good standing in a WCE teacher education or endorsement program, 2) have applied and qualify for financial aid (with an EFC below the maximum for Pell Grant eligibility). To request a voucher email the CertOffice@wwu.edu; include your name, W#, endorsement, and anticipated testing date. Only one voucher will be awarded per eligible student per academic year.
- NES Fee Waiver - Applications for NES fee waivers available online at: www.nestest.com/Content/Docs/NES_FeeWaiverRequestForm.pdf
- No vouchers or waivers are offered for ACTFL tests. However, if you are struggling with the cost of these tests you may apply for a hardship scholarship through the Woodring Scholarship Office (deadline May 15 for the current academic year). This may or may not help you, depending on your financial aid situation. Email Woodring.Scholarships@wwu.edu for an application.” .
Bilingual Endorsement: Candidates must take the Bilingual Education WEST-E test and pass the ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview and ACTFL Writing Proficiency Test at the Advanced Mid-Level or higher.
French, German, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese or Spanish Endorsements: Candidates must take the World Languages WEST-E test and pass the ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview and ACTFL Writing Proficiency Test at the Advanced Low-level or higher.
Schedule to take the ACTFL at least 4 weeks prior to the start of the full-time internship quarter. View detailed registration directions here. Review the ACTFL Testing Flyer then visit the test vendor Language Testing International for registration information.