The Intern Substitute Certificate authorizes the intern to substitute teach "only while assigned as a student teacher/intern and only in the classroom(s) to which assigned".
Woodring College of Education will approve an Intern Substitute Certificate for candidates who:
- are in their full-time quarter of internship
- midterm must be completed and on file with the Office of Field Experiences;
- demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and disposition to serve as the sole teacher in the assigned classroom as determined by the Woodring College of Education;
- have support from the school district, principal, cooperating teacher (CT), University Intern Coordinator (UIC) or Field Supervisor and are approved by the Department Chair.
- Advise your principal, cooperating teacher (CT), and University Intern Coordinator (UIC) or Field Supervisor of your interest. Ask your principal and CT to sign the School Request form.
- Email the signed School Request form to CertOffice@wwu.edu, (a scan or clear photo is OK). Alternatively, you may fax or mail it to the Certification Office.
- Include your name, Western # and the first date you have an opportunity to substitute, if known.
- Provide a copy of the School Request form to your School District.
- Contact your school district human resources office to ask for the “District Request for Intern Substitute Certification” to be initiated with OSPI and to complete new employee hire forms. Some districts request Emergency Certificates and/or some interns already hold a valid certificate. If so, the intern still needs to to get Woodring permission to work in the internship placement by submitting a School Request form to the Woodring Certification Office: CertOffice@wwu.edu.
- The Certification office will seek a recommendation from your UIC/Field Supervisor and a determination from your program's Chair.
- If approved, the Certification Office will authorize OSPI to issue the Intern Substitute Certificate through the OSPI eCert system. You will not upload a form.
- You will apply for the Intern Substitute Certificate and pay a $44 fee through E-Cert. Do not apply until instructed to do so.
- OSPI will issue the Intern Substitute Certificate after you have applied and Woodring has approved your application. If necessary, the school district can request a rush.