Subbing During Internship

Students in their full-time internship quarter may request permission to substitute teach in the internship classroom. All candidates (except MTF and WIETS) must get approval through the Woodring Certification Office to sub in their current internship even if you already hold a valid certificate for the district.

Department Specific Requirements for Approval

  • Elementary and Early Childhood Education: Please use this form: Substitute Certificate Request and submit it to Do not follow the process below.
  • Secondary Education: Must have completed 3 weeks in the internship. Your UIC must have had enough opportunity to observe that they feel comfortable commenting on your readiness.
  • Special Education and TEOP: You must have a completed mid-term before the request will be considered. Your UIC/Field supervisor will attach the midterm to the petition before it is forwarded to the department chair for final approval.

Steps to receive substitute certification:

  1. Contact your UIC/Field Supervisor to make sure they are ready to support your request and to verify their WWU email address, then:
  2. Get the School Request form signed by your CT and Principal
  3. Fill out the Permission to Sub During Internship Request eSign form.  Be sure to attach the signed School Request form to the Permission to Sub eSign form.
  4. Submit the Permission to Sub eSign form to your UIC/Field Supervisor at their WWU email address. 

Frequently Asked Questions

You must hold valid certification for the district to serve as a substitute teacher

Intern Substitute Certificate

Valid only while assigned as a student teacher/intern and only in the classroom(s) to which assigned.

Emergency Substitute Certificate

Allows you to substitute in your internship classroom during your internship and anywhere in the district after your internship ends.

Woodring College of Education interns who have successfully completed at least three weeks (15 full days) in the fulltime internship and are ready to assume responsibility for teaching on their own.  The University Intern Coordinator must have observed the intern enough to provide feedback regarding the intern's performance.

Woodring College of Education will make every effort to review and process the Request for Approval within 3 - 5 days. The timeframe for issuance of the certificate by OSPI may be several days. If necessary the school district can submit a rush request to OSPI.

The professional education permit will state "valid only in the classroom(s) to which assigned for student teaching" and will have the state's uniform expiration date of the next June 30. This means you can use the certificate to substitute as long as you are an intern in the classroom for which you were approved, but not beyond that time and not beyond June 30.

The Woodring Certification Office will recommend you to OSPI for a Residency certificate when all program requirements are verified as being successfully completed and both grades and Bachelor’s degree are posted to your transcript.  The Woodring Certification Office will also email you regarding the timeline for completion during your internship.  You may also contact with questions on the process or your certification status. 

Depending upon the schedule of your substitute teaching assignment, which cannot conflict with your student teaching responsibilities in the other classroom, it is possible that you will not be able to use the Intern Substitute Certificate. You can use this certificate in either classroom if there are no scheduling conflicts.


If approved, the intern will receive an email notification to apply for the intern substitute certificate through the OSPI E-Certification system. If not approved, the intern will be advised of the rationale behind that decision, which is not subject to appeal.