Beth Dillard, Ph.D.
she/her/ella, Director Multilingual Education Community Programs - Renton / Associate Professor
Interested in learning more about the following programs? Please schedule an appointment. I would love to talk with you!
- Bilingual/ELL endorsement
- Future Bilingual Teaching Fellows Program
- Master in Teaching, Multilingual Education, South King County
- English — ELL/Bilingual Education Emphasis, BA, with Teaching Endorsement Option
- Ph.D. (2016) University of Minnesota; Second languages education
- M.Ed. (2006) University of Oregon; Curriculum and Instruction (Secondary Social Studies & ESOL); Oregon state Licensure: Social Studies 7-12 / ESOL 7-12
- B.A. (2003) Auburn University, History (cum laude), Honors College graduate
My research interests include:
- systemic functional linguistics (SFL)
- content and language integration, CBI/CLIL
- teacher learning
- bilingual education
- activity theory / developmental work research
- discourse analysis, including conversation analytic approaches
Orcid ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-3941-7562
Green, J. & Dillard, B. (2021). Scaffolding the Scaffold: Creating Graphic Organizers to Support Your Students’ Learning. Transformative Dialogues: Teaching and Learning Journal, 14(2). https://journals.kpu.ca/index.php/td/article/view/1495
Dillard, B. & Green, J. (2021). Exploring WIDA’s Argue Language Function: Ideas for the Classroom. WAESOL Educator, 46(2), 25-28. Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kJHmdZVu9xCPNDn2fEAaa1IvBp7PdTDn/view
Dillard, B. (2019). Language Instructors Learning Together: Using Lesson Study in Higher Education. in Gass, S. & Winke, P. (Eds.) University-level foreign language proficiency: Goals, assessment and articulation. New York: Springer.
Fallas Escobar, C. & Dillard-Paltrineri, E. (2015). Professors’ and Students’ Conflicting Beliefs about Translanguaging in the EFL Classroom: Dismantling the Monolingual Bias. Revista de Lenguas Modernas, 23, 301-328. Download: http://revistas.ucr.ac.cr/index.php/rlm/article/view/22355/22512
Ranney, S., Dillard-Paltrineri, E., Maguire, C., & Schornack, M. (2014). Academic language demands: Texts, Tasks, and Levels of Language. MinneTESOL Journal, 1. Online: http://minnetesoljournal.org/spring-2014/academic-language-demands-texts-tasks-and-levels-of-language
Dillard-Paltrineri, E. (2012). Intersecting flows of language and literacy: A case study of one transnational youth in the cloud and in the classroom. Cruzando Flujos de Idiomas y alfabetización: Un Estudio de Caso de un Jóven Transnacional en la Nube y en Clase. Letras, 52. Download: http://www.revistas.una.ac.cr/index.php/letras/article/view/6304