Receiving Inquiries for Summer 2023
Application deadline: March 1, 2023.
Are you interested in becoming a teacher? Are you interested in supporting children to speak and learn in multiple languages? Perhaps you are bi/multilingual or perhaps you are currently fluent in English and have a passion for working in a multilingual setting? Schools with dual language programs need teachers who are either bi/multilingual and/or are English speakers interested in teaching with someone who is bi/multilingual. Our degree program will prepare you to teach in these settings.
Other considerations for beginning this degree program:
- At least a Direct Transfer Agreement Associate Degree (DTA-AA) from a Washington State community college or equivalent, bachelor’s degree, or satisfaction of Western Washington University’s General University Requirements (GURs) through a combination of coursework from other colleges or universities, either nationally or internationally. If you think you’re close to meeting this requirement, please contact us for a transcript review. You might be closer than you think!
- A minimum 2.75 GPA (cumulative or last 45+ graded credits)
- Meet the West-B / Basic Skills Requirement
- Meet the English composition course requirement with a minimum grade of B-.
- Completion of the math prerequisite with a grade of C or better (Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, or Pre-Calculus course at a regionally accredited college or university within the last five years OR ALEKS Math Placement Assessment with a minimum score of 45 required).
- Candidates are hired and work in one of our current partner districts - Auburn, Federal Way, Highline, Kent, Renton, and Tukwila. (Other districts are invited to join us.)
- More information in the “Next Steps” section below.
We are here to support you. For more information on WWU admission requirements or any other questions pertaining to the program, contact Miranda.MyersBarker@wwu.edu.
Program of study leads to a Bachelor of Arts in Education (BAE), English Language Learners & Bilingual Education from Western Washington University, with a Washington State Residency Teaching Certificate with endorsements in Elementary Education (K-8), English Language Learners (ELL) (P-12) and/or Bilingual Education (BE) (P-12).
Candidates will work as English Language Learner (ELL) paraeducators in schools throughout Auburn, Federal Way, Highline, Kent, Renton, and Tukwila school districts.
Content is delivered through a hybrid educational model, with online and in-person instruction held at the Puget Sound ESD. Courses are offered during weekday evenings, on some Saturdays during academic quarters, and on weekdays during summer quarters.
Puget Sound ESD
800 Oakesdale Ave SW
Renton, WA 98057
The degree program is 8 consecutive quarters starting in the Summer of 2023 and continues each quarter thereafter till June of 2025. A new cohort is projected to start each summer.
Woodring College of Education, the Puget Sound Educational Service District (ESD), our partner districts, and Washington state have a commitment to increasing the number of bi/multilingual teachers from the communities in which they live, helping to build strong dual language programs, and increasing the diversity of our teaching force to reflect our student populations.
As candidates are employed as ELL paraeducators in schools throughout our partner districts, they maintain regular salary and benefits. Through their work, they practice, apply and deepen their study with Western Washington University’s Woodring College of Education.
Tuition and fees are approximately $20,500 for 8 quarters, a savings of about $4,500, when compared to the cost to attend 8 quarters on the Bellingham campus.
Financial aid opportunities may be available through Western Washington University and through Washington Student Achievement Council. See Financial Aid Checklist for important information regarding FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Priority deadline is January 31st. See WMTF Budgeting Guide for estimated expenses and Scholarship Resource Guide for scholarship ideas.
Elementary Education (K-8), English Language Learners (P-12) and/or Bilingual Education (P-12)
Please contact us early so that we can help ensure that you are ready to start! We are happy to review your transcripts and provide guidance—community college, other colleges, international. For more information on admission requirements, contact Miranda.MyersBarker@wwu.edu.
- Current partners are Auburn, Federal Way, Highline, Kent, Renton, and Tukwila school districts. Other districts may join us.
- If you are currently employed in one of these districts, or are interested in applying in order to participate in the program, please contact us at the email below:
Below are our current partner district contacts and job postings. If you already work for one of our current partner districts, or are interested in a position with one, please feel free to reach out to the district contact.
Director of Multilingual Services
(253) 945-2002 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Director of Human Resources
(253) 945-2007 | email@example.com
Federal Way Public Schools | 33330 8th Avenue South | Federal Way, WA 98003
Open positions: https://www.applitrack.com/federalway/onlineapp/
HR Recruitment & Retention Specialist
Highline Public Schools | 15675 Ambaum Blvd SW | Burien, WA 98166
(206) 928-1356 | Shirley.Siloi@highlineschools.org
Renton School District | 300 SW 7th Street | Renton, WA 98057
(425) 204-2353| firstname.lastname@example.org
Open positions: https://a1-8.applitrack.com/rentonschools/onlineapp/default.aspx
Tukwila School District | 4640 S 144th St | Tukwila, WA 98168
Open positions: https://tukwilajobs.hrmplus.net/JobOpenings.aspx
Contact the PSESD Pathways Navigator to find out about more regional connections!
Puget Sound ESD | 800 Oakesdale Ave SW | Renton, WA 98057