Welcome, Students & Visitors
- Miller Hall 201A
- Department Chair
Dr. Gail Coulter
- Department Manager
Pam Clark Hamilton
- Department Coordinator
- For program information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is Special Education?
There are two definitions of special education. One is the education of students with disabilities. The other is the application of exceptional teaching. We in the special education program at Western Washington University believe very strongly in the second definition. We think that it is our mission to prepare exceptional teachers and, while students who have disabilities often require the services of such teachers, we also believe that there are many other students who can benefit from high quality instruction. We also think that there is much satisfaction to be gained from the acquisition of the highest levels of teaching skill and that the teachers trained in our program benefit professionally and personally from the acquisition of theses skill. That is why the word “special” in our title is a source of pride to us and to our graduates.
Degrees, Certificates & Endorsements
Our curriculum is a carefully sequenced professional program that is grounded in current research on effective teaching and learning, consistent with state and national standards pertaining to skills and knowledge for Special Education teachers.
Please see links below for detailed program information.
- Early Childhood Special Education, BAE (Fall Admission Only)- Completion of this program results in a BA in Education. Graduates typically seek employment in private child development centers and governmental agencies; they do not qualify for a teaching certificate.
- Early Childhood Special Education P-3, BAE (Fall Admission Only)- Completion of this program results in a BA in Education with recommendation for a Washington State teaching certificate with endorsement in Early Childhood Special Education, Preschool through Grade 3 (P-3).
- Special Education, BAE - Completion of this program results in a BA in Education. Graduates typically seek employment in non-school settings, such as health and human services and non-profit organizations; they do not qualify for a teaching certificate.
- Special Education P-12, BAE - Completion of this program results in a BA in Education with recommendation for a Washington State teaching certificate and an endorsement in Special Education, Preschool through Grade 12 (P-12).
- Special Education P-12 & Elementary Education (Dual Endorsement), BAE - Completion of this program results in a BA in Education with recommendation for a Washington State teaching certificate with endorsements in Special Education (P-12) and Elementary Education.
- Special Education P-12 Post Baccalaureate Certification - This program leads to a Washington State teacher certification with an endorsement in Special Education (P-12).
- M.Ed. in Special Education - The Graduate Program is currently not accepting applications. Please consult the Graduate School section of the general WWU Catalog.
- Special Education Endorsement Program for Certified Teachers - The Teacher Education Outreach Program offers a 45-credit program that leads to an add-on endorsement in Special Education P-12.