Evidence of good moral character and personal fitness must be provided upon admission to the following educator certification programs:
- Residency Teacher
- Residency Educational Staff Associate / School Counselor
- Residency Principal (candidates who do not hold a valid Washington State certificate)
- Initial Superintendent (candidates who do not hold a valid Washington State certificate)
Character and fitness is established through two separate but related processes and maintained through certification:
Pre-Residency Clearance Application click here to link to the instructions. Print and follow these instructions carefully! ECert is not an intuitive system. You cannot start the process, save it, and come back to it later.
- Any reportable incidents must be fully disclosed and documentation provided as soon as possible. Documentation can be collected and uploaded after you've completed the Pre-Residency Clearance application.
- The Pre-Residency Clearance is valid for two years, however if your answer to any question on this webform changes notify the Woodring Certification Office immediately.
Fingerprinting Background Check: All candidates need Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) fingerprint clearance; Early Childhood Education candidates also need Department of Early Learning (DEL) fingerprint clearance. Candidates with a DEL clearance can get it transferred to OSPI, see below.
Contact the Woodring Certification Office if you already have DEL or OSPI clearance or if you have been fingerprinted for any reason in the last 1.5 years.
Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) fingerprinting - follow link to get instructions and find locations. The fingerprinting background check is valid for two years.
- or Department of Early Learning (DEL) - teacher candidates admitted to an Early Childhood Education endorsement program complete a fingerprint background check through the DEL, then submit the results to OSPI. For detailed instructions on the DEL process click here.
Clearance by the OSPI Office of Professional Practices
Incidents reported through these two processes, if any, are investigated by the OSPI Office of Professional Practices. No student may participate in a University-sponsored activity in the public schools until cleared by the Washington State Patrol record check, and if applicable, investigated and cleared by OSPI. Clearance by OSPI is valid for two years and must be maintained until program completion and recommendation for certification.
Other Evidence of Character and Fitness
Students must abide by their program's conduct policies. Toward the end of a candidate’s program and prior to recommendation for the first certificate, the Dean of Woodring College of Education is required by Washington Administrative Code to sign an affidavit affirming that faculty and staff "have no knowledge related to the applicant’s character and fitness that would adversely affect the applicant’s ability to serve in a certificated role."