Internship Information - Special Education
Full-time Internship Requirement
- Special Education & Elementary Education Program (dual cert) - Candidates complete one quarter-long Special Education internship and then one quarter-long Elementary Education internship.
- Early Childhood Special Education & Early Childhood Education Program - Candidates complete one quarter-long internship at the preschool (not infants) to primary level.
- Special Education only & Special Education Plus Content Endorsement Programs - Candidates complete one quarter-long Special Education internship at the elementary or secondary level.
- Fall (full-time): Starts when teachers report back to work after the summer break; ends the Friday of WWU's fall finals week.
- Winter (full-time): Starts when teachers report back to work in January; ends the Friday of WWU’s winter final’s week.
- Spring (full-time): Starts the Monday of WWU’s Spring Break (candidate may not take the WWU Spring Break); ends the Friday of WWU's spring final's week.
Grade Level and Location Choices
When you apply, you will indicate your preferred grade ranges and districts. We will do our best to place you according to your preferences, however these requests are not guaranteed. Dual-endorsement candidates may complete the two internships in two different locations.
Placements are made in Whatcom and Skagit Counties. If you wish to complete your internship outside of one of these areas, you will complete the "Out of Area Request" section of the Internship Application.
International placements are also an option in some programs. Please contact your program if you are interested in an international internship.
After submitting your internship application, you can plan ahead for this exciting time in your program by reviewing the following information: