Internship Information - Special Education
Full-time Internship Requirement
- Early Childhood Special Education & Early Childhood Education Program - Candidates complete one quarter-long internship at the preschool (not infants) to primary level.
- Special Education & Elementary Education Program - Candidates complete one quarter-long Special Education internship and then one quarter-long Elementary Education internship.
- Special Education & Special Education Plus Content Endorsement Programs - Candidates complete one quarter-long Special Education internship at the elementary or secondary level.
- Fall (full-time): Starts when teachers report back to work after the summer break; ends the Friday of WWU's fall final's week.
- Winter (full-time): Starts when teachers report back to work in January; ends the Friday of WWU’s winter final’s week.
- Spring (full-time): Starts the Monday of WWU’s Spring Break (candidate may not take the WWU Spring Break); ends the Friday of WWU's spring final's week.
Indicate your preferred grade ranges and districts (within Whatcom or Skagit County) on the Placement Information Form. Dual-endorsement candidates may complete the two internships in two different locations. Note that while we will do our best to place you according to your preferences, these choices are not guaranteed.
The following areas may be requested but require a petition. Petitions must be submitted by the time you submit your student teaching application:
- Any Washington county outside of Whatcom and Skagit Counties
- Out of state
- Important Note:
- Placements are unavailable in Portland, Oregon or anywhere in Multnomah County (greater Portland area). The districts in that county do not host out of state candidates.
After submitting your internship application, you can plan ahead for this exciting time in your program by reviewing the following information: