Early Childhood Education Program
This program includes an academic major of Early Childhood Education and a sequence of professional certification courses that lead to teacher licensure P-3rd grade or a dual endorsement in elementary education (K-8) and P-3. A non-certification option is also available. Upon completion of the program, candidates can work in childcare centers, preschools, Head Start programs, and, if they receive the P-3 teacher endorsement, in the primary grades in public schools. A student completing the dual endorsement option may teach in any of the elementary grades. The course work offers a combination of theory, methods, and field experiences in a variety of early childhood settings.
Unique Program Features
- Students attend classes with other early childhood education students as a cohort group throughout the program.
- Students gain experience in teaching children in three age groups (infant/toddlers, pre-primary and primary) and in a variety of settings.
- Students are taught to understand and respect intercultural/familial diversity as they learn to develop partnerships with families.
- Students learn to use inquiry tools and process for developing meaningful and integrated learning experiences for young children.
Early Childhood Education Program News
- The Early Childhood Education teacher preparation program in Western's Woodring College of Education and the Associated Students' Child Development Center have a longstanding collaborative partnership to engage in the understanding of principles and practices in early childhood education. One of the projects this term in ECE 434: Environments for Young Children is to design materials for the classroom to support children’s knowledge and skills related to scientific thinking and to support children’s ability to represent their thinking. Read the whole story here.
- We have an international partnership with the Early Childhood Program of Southwest University in Chongqing, China. WWU's ECE students, teachers and faculty joined with their counterparts from Chongqing and visited local schools and engaged in professional development. Click here to see other ECE programs hosted by the Lummi Nation.
Next Application Due Date: March 1, 2019 for Fall 2019 Admissiom