This program includes an academic major of Early Childhood Education and a sequence of professional certification courses that lead to teacher licensure P-3rd grade or a dual endorsement in elementary education (K-8) and P-3. A non-certification option is also available. Upon completion of the program, candidates can work in childcare centers, preschools, Head Start programs, and, if they receive the P-3 teacher endorsement, in the primary grades in public schools. A student completing the dual endorsement option may teach in any of the elementary grades. The course work offers a combination of theory, methods, and field experiences in a variety of early childhood settings.
Unique Program Features
- Students attend classes with other early childhood education students as a cohort group throughout the program.
- Students gain experience in teaching children in three age groups (infant/toddlers, pre-primary and primary) and in a variety of settings.
- Students are taught to understand and respect intercultural/familial diversity as they learn to develop partnerships with families.
- Students learn to use inquiry tools and process for developing meaningful and integrated learning experiences for young children.
Interested and want to know more?
Admission and Application
- View the admission webpage at https://wce.wwu.edu/admissions/early-childhood-education.
- Applicants can obtain information related to the Early Childhood Program and coursework from the Early Childhood Faculty listed above
- Applicants are encouraged to attend a "Tips" session for applying to the program. Next Tips session is: Thursday, February 23, 2017 at 4pm in MH 258
- Next Application Due Date: March 1, 2017
- Early Childhood Education P-3 Option, BAE
- Early Childhood Education P-3 with Elementary Education Option, BAE
- Early Childhood Education — Non Certification, BAE
- Other program information, including Recommended GURs and Plans of Study can be found here