We still have a few spots open for Fall 2021 - apply soon!
To be considered for admission to the Master's Program in Rehabilitation Counseling, you must meet the admission requirements for Western's Graduate Programs.
The program admits for fall quarter. All materials must be submitted by June 1 (we do accept applications after June 1 if there is space in our cohort). Applications received by April 1 will be considered for an early admission decision.
International students are not able to apply for the MA in RC program at this time.
- Go to Western’s Graduate School How to Apply website, click on Create Your Account.
- After you have created an account, click on Online Application.
- Next, click on Master of Arts and then Rehabilitation Counseling. Select the term you are applying for, and click on Select Program.
- Continue through the application, adding information or uploading required materials (see list below for the items that are included in the RC Application).
- Don’t forget to click Save as you are working through this process to ensure that you do not lose any information.
RC Application Materials Include
- Application for the Graduate School and fee.
- One set of unofficial transcripts from each school attended, including WWU graduates. (If you are offered admission to the program, you will be required to submit official transcripts, but at the time of application, only unofficial transcripts are required.) The Graduate School minimum GPA requirement is 3.0; however, if an applicant’s GPA is slightly below a 3.0 but they demonstrate strength in all other components of the application, a provisional admission may be considered.
- Three professional/educational references – references should be from individuals who can attest to either your professional experiences (preferably at least one from a direct supervisor; can include internship/volunteer positions) or academic strength (preferably a university professor). References should not be from family members or close personal friends.
- In the application, you will be asked to list your references (including their email address). After you have entered the information for each of your references, click on “Submit Recommendation Request” and they will receive an email with a link to a reference form to complete and electronically submit.
- Starting for Fall 2020 applicants: a GRE or MAT score is no longer required!
- A current resume.
- A Statement of Purpose.
- A signed copy of the Expectations for Academic and Professional Performance.
- Once you have entered all the requested information and uploaded all materials, you will be able to submit your completed application and pay the $100 application fee.
- Additional RC Application Materials - At the same time as you are completing the online application, you also need to submit to the Department a signed copy of the Criminal History Self-Disclosure form (instructions on form). This form is not uploaded in the online application system, but should be completed and mailed to the Department (see address below).
- When your application is complete and the Graduate School has finished the initial review of your application, you will be contacted by the Program for a personal interview. Personal interviews begin shortly after the April 1st priority deadline for completed applications.
- After the interview, individuals under further consideration for admission must undergo a comprehensive background check. Go to https://portal.castlebranch.com/WD82 and under Human Services and Rehabilitation Counseling, select we30:Background Check. Applicants are responsible for this expense (approximately $60.00) and will be able to view their results online. In some rare instances, fingerprinting may be required ($0-$20). Applicants who are not U.S. Citizens should contact the HSR Program Manager at 360-650-7644 for more details.
- If you are offered admission to the program, you will be asked to confirm your intent to enroll by submitting a $100 confirmation fee as a part of accepting admission.
- Still have application-related questions? View the FAQ.
Statement of Purpose
The Statement of Purpose should be a succinct statement (two to three pages) that provides an accurate indication of writing and grammatical skills.
The Statement of Purpose must include information on the following:
- Your reason(s) for applying, including your rationale for seeking the Master's degree and choosing the Rehabilitation Counseling program at WWU
- Professional and personal strengths as they apply to the field of rehabilitation counseling
- Relevant experiences in life, work, and/or schooling
- Your goals and interests that demonstrate and illustrate your personal value system
- Your career objectives
You can also include any additional information or insights that you consider relevant to your application.
Address for the Graduate School
(Send application materials here)
Western Washington University
516 High Street, Old Main 530
Bellingham, WA 98225-9037
Address for the Department
(Send Criminal History Self-Disclosure here)
Western Washington University
Dept. of Health & Community Studies
516 High Street, Miller Hall 318D
Bellingham, WA 98225-9091