To be considered for admission to the Master's Program in Rehabilitation Counseling, you must meet the admission requirements for Western's Graduate Programs.
The program admits for fall quarter. All materials must be submitted by June 1. Applications received by April 1 will be considered for an early admission decision.
International students should consult the Graduate School for additional requirements.
Application Deadline Extended: we still have a few spots open for Fall 2017, apply by August 18th!
- In the online application you have to select Fall 2018 as the term, but then email Monica Holmer, Program Coordinator, at RC.Everett@wwu.edu and let her know you are applying for Fall 2017.
A. Go to Western’s Graduate School "How to Apply" website, click on "Apply for Admission" and create an account.
B. After you have created an account, click on “Online Application.”
C. Next, click on “Master of Arts” and then “Rehabilitation Counseling.” Select the term you are applying for, and click on “Select Program.”
D. Continue through the application, adding information or uploading required materials (see list below for the items that are included in the RC Application).
E. Don’t forget to click “Save” as you are working through this process to ensure that you do not lose any information.
RC Application Materials Include:
- Application for the Graduate School and fee.
- One set of unofficial transcripts from each school attended, including WWU graduates. (If you are offered admission to the program, you will be required to submit official transcripts, but at the time of application, only unofficial transcripts are required.) GPA of 3.0 or higher is preferred.
- Three professional/educational references – references should be from individuals who can attest to either your professional experiences (preferably at least one from a direct supervisor; can include internship/volunteer positions) or academic strength (preferably a university professor). References should not be from family members or close personal friends.
- In the application, you will be asked to list your references (including their email address). After you have entered the information for each of your references, click on “Submit Recommendation Request” and they will receive an email with a link to a reference form to complete and electronically submit.
- Scores from the GRE general test or the Miller Analogies Test taken within the last five years (not required if you already have an advanced degree - Ph.D., M.A., M.S., M.D., etc.). Western's ETS institution code is 4947. If you have not taken the GRE or MAT at the time of application, please leave these fields blank.
- A current resume.
- A Statement of Purpose.
- A signed copy of the Expectations for Academic and Professional Performance.
- Complete the Technology Self-Assessment
F. Once you have entered all the requested information and uploaded all materials, you will be able to submit your completed application and pay the $100 application fee.
G. Additional RC Application Materials - At the same time as you are completing the online application, you also need to submit to the Department a signed copy of the Criminal History Self-Disclosure form (instructions on form). This form is not uploaded in the online application system, but should be completed and mailed to the Department (address for the Department is below).
H. When your application is complete and the Graduate School has finished the initial review of your application, you will be contacted by the Program for a personal interview. Personal interviews begin shortly after the April 1st priority deadline for completed applications.
I. After the interview, individuals under further consideration for admission must undergo a comprehensive background check. Go to https://portal.castlebranch.com/WD82 and under Human Services and Rehabilitation Counseling, select we30:Background Check. Applicants are responsible for this expense (approximately $60.00) and will be able to view their results online. In some rare instances, fingerprinting may be required ($0-$20). Applicants who are not U.S. Citizens should contact the HSR Program Manager at 360-650-7644 for more details.
J. If you are offered admission to the program, you will be asked to confirm your intent to enroll by submitting a $100 confirmation fee as a part of accepting admission.
Here is a suggested timeline for completing application materials (you do not have to follow this timeline, but it may be helpful as you are planning when to complete application materials).
The Statement of Purpose should be a succinct statement (two to three pages) that provides an accurate indication of writing and grammatical skills.
In addition to the applicant's reasons for applying for the program, some areas that could be addressed in the personal statement are:
- career objectives;
- rationale for seeking the Master's degree and choosing this program;
- professional and personal strengths as they apply to the field of rehabilitation counseling;
- related work experiences;
- the way in which personal and professional life experiences have converged to motivate application to the program;
- a statement of goals and interests that demonstrates and illustrates the applicant’s personal value system; and
- other insights as deemed appropriate by the applicant.
(Send application materials here)
Western Washington University
516 High Street, Old Main 530
Bellingham, WA 98225-9037
(Send Criminal History Self-Disclosure here)
Western Washington University
Dept. of Health & Community Studies
516 High Street, Miller Hall 318D
Bellingham, WA 98225-9091